Many users who own a Netgear router find setting it up an ordeal even though a user manual arrives with it. Setting up a Netgear router will become a lot easier for you if you know the best methods. This is why, in this blog, we’ve jotted down the two best methods using which you will be able to do Netgear router setup easily.
We want to tell you that you need to connect your Netgear router to the modem using the Ethernet cable, only then you will get the router setup success. So, let’s tell you how to set up a Netgear router using two different methods. No matter if you have the router’s user manual or not because here we will also reveal the default password and username of the Netgear router.
Methods of Netgear Router Setup
Netgear Wi-Fi router setup can be done either via the router’s web management interface or using the Nighthawk app. When you decide to set up the router using the first method, you’ll need a computer with a web browser installed. If you want to set up the router via the Nighthawk app, you’ll only need a mobile phone.
How to Set Up a Netgear Router – Web Interface
Before starting the actual setup process, you have to connect your Netgear router to the internet modem. Be sure that you are getting high-speed internet on your modem from the service provider. You can connect your router and modem with the Ethernet cable. The steps given below will illustrate how:
- To the Ethernet port of your modem, connect one end of the cable.
- Find the port labeled “Internet” on the Netgear router and connect both devices.
- You should create a strong connection.
Once you’ve connected your Wi-Fi router and modem, the actual router setup process can be begun. The steps underneath will make you learn how to set up a Netgear router using its web interface.
- Power on your Netgear router plus modem.
- With the help of the web browser on a computer, visit routerlogin.com or 192.168.1.1.
- The router login page displays.
- Key in the values “admin” in the User name and “password” in the Password area.
- You will be seeing the dashboard of the router.
- Click Setup Wizard.
- Select Next after Yes.
- Internet connection will be detected and the router’s admin password needs to be created.
- Fill in the answers to the security questions.
- The Congratulations window appears.
- Save the Network Settings on your computer and click Next.
- Your router will check for firmware updates.
- If no update is detected, click OK. Otherwise, click Yes.
- The Netgear router firmware updates and it reboots.
- Log in to the router again with the User name “admin” and the new password.
- Can you see the Netgear router setup wizard?
- If yes, you’re all set!
Here ends the section listing the instructions on how to set up a Netgear router using the web management interface. Connect your mobile phones, smart TVs, gaming consoles, laptops, Alexa, etc. to the Netgear router and enjoy unlimited internet services.
How to Set Up a Netgear Router – Nighthawk App
The Nighthawk app is another platform that will assist you with Netgear router setup. Therefore, connect your Netgear router and modem using the Ethernet and internet ports. The instructions to connect them are mentioned in the above section. Read the instructions given below to do the Netgear router setup via the Nighthawk app:
- Download the Nighthawk app on your Android or iPhone.
- Power on your Netgear router and let the Wi-Fi LED lit.
- Check the router’s label and note down the SSID and Wi-Fi password.
- Now, open the Wi-Fi manager on your mobile phone.
- Find the Wi-Fi name (SSID) of the router and enter the password.
- Launch the Netgear Nighthawk app.
- You have to follow the instructions to complete the Netgear router setup and connect to the internet.
Note: If you can’t connect your mobile to the router’s Wi-Fi network, power cycle the entire network including the modem, router, and your phone. Also, the Nighthawk app provides you with the best way to manage the router. So, keep it installed on your phone.
Netgear Router Setup – Final Words
The Netgear router setup unlocks the door to a super-fast Wi-Fi connection in the house. So, after you’re done installing your router, take out your mobile phone, connect to the router, and enjoy doing your online stuff. And yes, you can connect “n” number of devices to the router.