The world of products manufactured by Netgear is so vast that it is nearly impossible to mention all of them in one go. Still, we’ve tried to put together every information related to the Netgear router setup here. Check out the sections penned down below and learn how to set up a Netgear router to improve the WiFi connection throughout your house.
Why Set Up a Netgear Router?
Installing a Netgear router is recommended when the user’s internet requirements are not getting fulfilled with the presence of an internet modem. The word router is derived from the word “route” or “rute” which simply means path. Hence, a router does the job of paving the path of internet signals emanated by the modem to your devices since the modem does not have a long range. And, the Netgear router does this job very marvelously. With that said, deciding to set up a Netgear router will be the best decision an individual will ever make. Well, let’s stop bragging about the advantages of installing this very router and get straight to the point i.e. the Netgear router setup process.
Netgear Router Setup Requirements
You need to have the following things if you want to set up a Netgear router successfully:
- A computer
- Two or more Ethernet cables
- Your internet modem and Netgear Wi-Fi router
How to Set Up a Netgear Router?
The next sections will give you the breakdown of the Netgear router setup.
Stage 1: Create Connections
- Connect the router’s micropower adapter to its power jack and plug it into a socket.
- Press the Power button on your Netgear.
- The lights on your device will turn on.
- Now, find the yellow internet port on the router and insert the Ethernet cable into it.
- Connect the other end of the same cable to the internet modem.
- Switch on your computer and connect it to the router via one of the Ethernet ports.
Stage 2: Access Your Router
- Open a web browser and type routerlogin.net.
- The login page of the Netgear router appears.
- Do router login using the user name as “admin” and password as “password”.
- These details are case-sensitive.
- The Netgear Genie setup wizard will show up.
- Select Advanced > Setup Wizard.
- Click Yes > Next.
- The router will check for the internet connection and the login window appears again.
Step 3: Enter New Settings
- Here, type the new admin password for your Netgear router and confirm it.
- Provide answers to a few security questions.
- Click Next to see the Congratulations! window.
- Select “Print this” to save a PDF file of the network settings.
- Click Next.
- The Firmware Update Assistant window will appear.
- Select OK if a new firmware update is not there.
- If a new update is there, click Yes.
- The router’s firmware will update and it will reboot.
Step 4: Log in to Your Router
- After the router reboots, you will see the Netgear router login page again.
- Now, type “admin” into the User name field and the new admin password in another.
- The BASIC page or the Status page displays.
- You’re all caught up!
This is how to set up a Netgear router successfully. You can now connect your devices to its network and start enjoying a sound internet connection. If you don’t know the steps to connect your devices to the router after the Netgear router setup, the following sections illustrate the process.
How to Connect Android Device to Netgear Router?
- Long press the Wi-Fi icon on your mobile phone.
- A list of networks will show on your mobile screen.
- Select your Netgear router WiFi name.
- Enter the Wi-Fi password.
- Tap Connect.
- Your Android device is now connected to the Netgear router.
How to Connect a Laptop to Netgear Router WiFi?
- Click the Network icon on the Taskbar.
- If your laptop is currently connected to no network, select Up Arrow ˄.
- Now, click the Wi-Fi network of your Netgear router.
- Select Connect.
- Type the Netgear router Wi-Fi password.
- Click Next.
- Your laptop is connected to your router.
If your laptop or Android is not connecting to your router, power cycle your home network. To do that, switch off your laptop, mobile, router, and modem. After some time, switch them on and connect your devices to the router’s WiFi again.
Here completes our write-up based on how to set up a Netgear router. We are happy that you have completed the Netgear router setup and are now enjoying lag-free WiFi after connecting your wireless devices to the extender.