Netgear Router Setup: Different Ways for Easy Installation
Are you looking for a hassle-free Netgear router setup without opting out for a technician’s help? Well, this easy-breezy guide will be your helping hand. No matter what model number of your WiFi router, you can easily setup Netgear router in no time.
Prior to getting your hands on the Netgear router installation and configuration process, here’s a checklist of the essentials you should have:
- An AC power adapter
- An Ethernet cable
- Uninterrupted power supply
- A shock-proof power plug
The power adapter and Ethernet cable mostly come with the Netgear WiFi router on the purchase. However, in case, you own an old router and don’t have these things, you need to buy the ones for a problem-free setup.
There are various ways for setting up Netgear router on your own. Let’s walk you through them one by one!
Setting up Netgear Router Via Web Routerlogin.net URL
Each WiFi router has its default web address through which it can be easily configured. For Netgear WiFi routers (almost for all model numbers), the default web address is www.routerlogin.net. This URL opens the Netgear admin login web page through which you can configure router settings. And one more thing, you can install your Netgear router as access point as well.
Here is a step-by-step guide for Netgear router setup using web admin login:
- Take the power adapter of your router and connect its one end to the device and other to an electric plug.
- Check the LED of your router. It should blink in solid green.
- Once done, connect your Netgear router to the home modem and a PC.
- The connection LED should blink now.
- Turn on your computer and launch an internet browser on it.
- Visit https://www.routerlogin.net web page.
- The Netgear WiFi router login admin page comes into display.
- Here, you are required to enter the user ID and passphrase.
- Clicking on the Log In button will take you to the Netgear router configuration wizard.
- There would be two radio buttons namely Yes and No. Select Yes and hit Next.
- Wait until the router identifies your internet connection.
- After that, you are prompted to sign in.
- Type a new passphrase and provide confirmation.
- Now, for security reasons, there would be two questions. You need to answer them.
- Click on the Next button.
- A page comes into view, saying Congratulations!
Here, Congratulations means your wireless router is setup and installed properly. Now, you can connect to Netgear router network and take benefit of uninterrupted internet connectivity.
How to Setup Netgear Router Wirelessly
If you are kind of a person who ignores any wires configuration, then we have a good news for you. The Netgear wireless router can also be installed without the mess of any wires. Want to know? Continue reading and applying the steps mentioned below:
- Power on your WiFi router.
- It should receive non-fluctuated power supply.
- Now, enable WiFi on your computer and choose your home network to connect.
- Once connected, pull up your favorite web browser, be it Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Internet Explorer.
- Visit the Netgear router setup admin login web page.
- Click Advanced and select Smart Wizard option.
- Hitting on the Next button will make your router to detect the internet connection.
- The next page prompts you to log in.
- Use the admin user ID and password to continue.
- Answer the two security questions that appear on the screen.
- Once done, you are all set to use your Netgear WiFi router.
One of the best features or facilities that Netgear provides its customers is the router setup, installation, and configuration through a smartphone. All you need is the Netgear router app. Let’s walk you through the steps to configure your Netgear router WiFi using the app:
- First things first, make 100% sure that your smartphone is having no virus and internet slowdowns.
- Download the Netgear app on your mobile via the Google Play Store or App Store.
- Make wired connections between your WiFi router and modem.
- Before making connections, don’t forget to power up your modem and router.
- Connect your smartphone to the router’s default WiFi network.
- Now, open the app on your smartphone.
- The app provides you with the on-screen Netgear router installation and configuration steps.
- Simply follow them step by step and set up your router in no time.
There you are! Now, keep in mind to change the default Netgear router settings especially the user ID and password so that no one can enter your network without your consent. The settings of the router can be configured via the app also.
What Netgear Router Settings do I Need to Configure After Installation?
After reading the above setup steps, you have noticed that it’s important to do Netgear router settings configuration. Wondering why so?
This is because the router comes with some specific default settings which are easily got by anyone who knows your router’s model number. In such a case, anyone can connect to your Netgear router WiFi network and eat up all the bandwidth that must be used by you and your family only.
That’s why we recommend you to change the default settings of your WiFi router. Below is the list of all Netgear router settings for which you need to do configuration:
- The default Netgear router password and user ID.
- Router firmware settings.
- Configure Netgear router IP.
- Set up a guest WiFi network.
- Change wireless settings in accordance with your needs.
- Set up parental controls on the network.
- Update the MTU size for your router.
In order to configure these settings, you need to access Netgear router admin page via routerlogin.net, routerlogin.com, or using the default router IP (18.104.22.168, 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.254).
Note: After changing the password, you need to connect to Netgear router WiFi network again with the updated passphrase.
So now, you know what Netgear router settings you need to update but do you know how to do that? Worry not! We are here to help you out.
Here’s how to do Netgear router configuration:
- After setting up Netgear router, go to its admin web page.
- Use the correct credentials for logging in.
- Go to the Wireless Settings tab in the appearing Netgear router installation wizard.
- If you want to change the passphrase, click on the password option.
- Enter the old passcode and then the new one twice.
- Hitting the Save button will update your network password.
- Now, use the updated password to connect to Netgear router.
- Another Netgear router configuration you can do is to change its MTU size. Doing so will help you get faster internet speed on all of your connected devices.
That’s how you can update your Netgear router settings as desired and enjoy a hassle-free WiFi connection on your mobile, smart TV, laptop, etc.
How Can I do Netgear Router Configuration As Access Point?
Another feature of Netgear routers is that it can be set up in the Access Point (AP) Mode. You can make use of the Netgear router access point to:
- Install a router in AP mode
- In case you already own a router and wish to add an AP router to the network
- Use another router to expand your network
Here are the instructions to configure Netgear router automatically to Access Point mode as soon as it identifies that it is behind another router:
- Make an Ethernet cable connection between your Netgear AP wireless router and the main existing router.
- Go to the default Netgear router admin login web page via a PC. On the off chance if the main router is having 192.168.1.1 IP address then the AP one will automatically changes its IP.
- Hit Continue.
- Netgear genie router setup page will identify the network of the main router.
- After that, click on the Yes button followed by Next.
- The next page appears. Here, you need to choose Get IP address dynamically from current router and hit Next.
- Wait until the AP router automatically restarts and return to the screen showing the main router’s wireless settings.
- Once done, a web page comes into view with the text that the Netgear router access point is set up successfully.
However, when working in the AP mode, some of the features will be unavailable like Netgear router setup wizard, LAN setup, WAN setup, internet settings, parental controls, UPnP, traffic meter, IPv6, port triggering, etc.
Just in case you want to further configure the AP router (like change the Netgear router settings), connect to Netgear router network. Below are the steps for getting the job done.
How to Connect to Netgear Router Network?
- Make sure that your computer is accessing the uninterrupted internet connection. To be more certain, you can use a LAN cable for internet access.
- Launch the command prompt on your device. For beginners, click on the Start button and type “cmd” in the search bar.
- A new window will open having black color. In this, type the command “ipconfig”. Once the output appears, note down the default gateways and subnet mask.
- For the Netgear router AP network settings configuration, there is a need to temporarily change your PC’s IP as that of the AP’s default one.
- Go to the Network and sharing center and double click on the Local Area Connection.
- Hit Properties.
- Select the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
- Set your computer’s IP address as the subnet mask.
- Now, go to Netgear router settings page via a web browser on your PC.
- Perform the setup Netgear router access point login.
- Update the IP address of AP.
- Thereafter, disconnect your PC to the AP.
- Connect AP to the main home network.
- Now, you can easily configure your Netgear router settings.
Common Netgear Router Setup Issues and Their Fixes
Here, we have covered a few common issues (along with their solutions!) that users face while doing Netgear router installation and configuration.
Netgear Router Not Working
Successfully done the Netgear router setup, installation, and configuration but still it’s not working as expected? Nothing to panic!
Just a few small easy checks and your WiFi router will start work as smooth as butter.
- Check the placement of your router. It should not be kept near electronic appliances like smart TVs, microwaves, heaters, etc.
- Make sure that the router is placed away from reflexive surfaces such as mirrors and glasses.
- Other obstructions between your WiFi router and fast signals are concrete walls, wooden doors, windows, corners. Don’t keep your router nearby such objects.
- Check whether the router is getting proper power supply. At times, the socket in which the router is plugged in is damaged.
- Check all wired connections. They should be proper and finger-tight.
All these things will help you bring the life back to your Netgear router.
Unable to Change Netgear Router Password
It’s safe to change the default network password after setting up Netgear router but some users are unable to do so. If you are also one of them, the following tips will surely come handy to you:
- Power cycle your Netgear WiFi router. Switch it off and then on but after a few minutes.
- An outdated and junky web browser may also prevent you from updating Netgear router settings properly. So, keep in mind to use an up-to-date web browser. If not, please download the latest version of the web browser whichever you are making use of.
- Don’t forget to clear cache, cookies, and browsing history of your web browser before using it.
- Check your internet connection speed. Chances are that you are not able to connect to Netgear router network and that’s why the password is not updating due to slower WiFi.
Hopefully, you would now able to change your Netgear router password.
Special Tip: Include the special characters in the password you are going to update. Also, don’t create the most obvious passwords like 12335, QWERTY, password, your name, your birth date, your spouse’s birthday, your vehicle number, etc.
Netgear Router Setup Default Password Not Working
For the first-time Netgear router installation, there is a need to use the default password. But sometimes, users raise concerns regarding this. They face issues while using the router setup default passphrase. What to do? All you need is the correct troubleshooting hacks and below are they:
- Maybe you have mistakenly typed the wrong password. Cross-check the password you entered. There would be an eye icon just next to the password option. Click on that and the entered password will be visible to you. Correct it and proceed.
- The Netgear router configuration password is case-sensitive. So, make sure to turn on the “Caps Lock” key if there is any capital letter in the password and turn it off for small letters.
- Check the manual of your router for cross-checking the default password. Maybe you are using another password that is not default for your device.
- If still facing the issue, reboot your WiFi router and try again.
Netgear Router Setup, Installation and Configuration FAQs
WiFi signals of the AP can weak if it’s kept in an area filled with WiFi interference. In order to get stronger wireless signals, place the router in a central area of your home that should be away from water resources, reflexive surfaces, and metal objects.
The main reason behind this issue is the inadequate power supply to the router. Change the power socket of your router and the issue will be resolved.
You can’t do Netgear router setup as an extender; however, you can turn on its Extender Mode feature. To get the job done, you need to own two routers. One will serve as a router while another will work as an extender by amplifying the first one’s signals.
You can connect as many devices as you want wirelessly to Netgear router at the same time. However, the WiFi performance may compromise.
Confirm if the Ethernet cable is properly connected between your Netgear WiFi router and modem. Also, check whether the router and modem is turned on and getting uninterrupted power supply.